Leszek Szymański 1, Marek Salagierski 1, Marek Lipiński 1, Małgorzata Gołąb-Lipińska 2, Leszek Jeromin 1
- 1 Klinika Urologii z Pracownią Litotrypsji Uniwersytetu Medycznego w Łodzi
Kierownik kliniki: prof. dr hab. Leszek Jeromin
2 Klinika Perinatologii I Katedry Ginekologii i Położnictwa Uniwersytetu Medycznego w Łodzi
Kierownik kliniki: prof. dr hab. Tadeusz Laudański
kidney, hydronephrosis, subcutaneus urinary diversion
- Introduction and objectives.
- Percutaneus nephrostomy has been the standard method of urinary diversion when placement of ureteral stents has failed in cancer patients. The aim of the study is to esteem the value of subcutaneous urinary diversion as an alternative to percutaneus nephrostomy.
- Material and method.
- We describe an alternative method of urinary diversion, proposed by Paterson and Forrester in 1994, subcutaneous nephrostomy. In 2004 this procedure was performed in 32 years old women with leyomiosarcoma of minor pelvis with dilatation of renal pyelo-calyceal system. Many attempts of placement of ureteral stent were failed. The diversion was created by specially designed 7F double pigtail stent. The proximal end of the stent was inserted into renal pelvis via a percutaneus nephrostomy puncture. A subcutaneous tunnel were created from the flank to the bladder down through which the distal end of the stent was passed and via a suprapubic bladder puncture the stent were passed into the bladder.
- After 4 months no dilatation of renal pyelo-calyceal system was observed. No pains or dysuria were observed during 8 months of follow-up.
- Our early experience with this extra-anatomical method of urinary diversion suggests it to be a safe, effective and acceptable alternative to nephrostomy that improves quality of life.
- Jeromin L, Wrona M, Lipiński et al: Postępowanie w popromiennych zwężeniach moczowodu u chorych na nowotwory narządu rodnego. Gin Pol 1999; 11; 824 -829.
- Feng MI, Bellman GC, Shapiro CE: Management of ureteral obstruction secondary to pelvic malignancies. J Endourol 1999; 13: 521-524.
- Lingam K, Paterson PJ, Lingam MK et al: Subcutaneous urinary diversion: an alternative to percutaneous nephrostomy. J Urol 1994; 152; 70-72.
- Paterson PJ, Forrester A: Extra-anatomic urinary diversion. J Endourol 1997; 11 (6); 411-412.
- Gasparini M, Carroll P, Stoller M: Palliative percutaneous and endoscopic urinary diversion for malignant ureteral obstruction. Urology 1991; 38 (5); 408-412.
- Bell DG, Fischer MA: Palliative Subcutaneous Tunneled Nephrostomy Tube (PSTN): a simple and effective technique for management of malignant extrinsic ureteral obstruction. Can J Urol 2002; 9 (1): 1470-1474.
- Jabbour ME, Desgrandchamps F, Angelescu E et al: Percutaneous implantation of subcutaneous prosthetic ureters: long-term outcome. J Endourol 2001; 15 (6): 611-614.
- Minhas S, Irving HC, Lloyd SN et al: Extra-anatomic stents in ureteric obstruction: experience and complications. BJU Int 1999; 84 (7): 762-764.
- Nakada SY, Gerber AJ, Wolf JS Jr et al: Subcutaneous urinary diversion utilizing a nephrovesical stent: a superior alternative to long-term external drainage? Urology 1995; 45 (3): 538-541.
- Tomooka Y, Yokoyama M, Takeuchi M: Extracorporeal urinary bypass for malignant ureteral obstruction. Urology 1994; 43 (6); 878-879.
Leszek C. Szymański
Klinika Urologii z Pracownią Litotrypsji UM
ul. Pabianicka 62
tel. (042) 68 95 211